For over 40 years, Volunteer Markham (VM) has been assisting our community through volunteerism. The COVID pandemic has negatively impacted our funding while increasing the essential work we are doing to help our community deal with the crisis. VM recently held it’s first ever fundraising event, our online auction, from March 24 to 28. We are so excited to have built our family, gain new friends and supporters and surpassed our goal!
Individuals and businesses helped by providing goods, services or gift cards for our auction. The donations received speaks to the value and recognition of volunteers and encouraged others to consider giving and supporting. Cash donations were also made to our charity during this time.
VM is actively supporting the community during the COVID pandemic. We have partnered with the United Way and other GTA volunteer centres in a “COVID Recovery Initiative”, we launched new programs and services, created valuable resources and collaborated with grass roots groups. This includes sourcing volunteers to support essential services including:
- screened volunteer drivers to deliver essential services and transport vulnerable people
- helping address food insecurity through the Food Banks in York Region
- providing supports to seniors’ centres
- helping the health care sector
- helping seniors reach their vaccine appointments through the “PinkCars” initiative
Thank you for helping us to continue to provide this important support at such a critical time.
Reach out, stay connected, together we will recover!